14 November, 2007

Forced Relaxation


I went 100 to zero fast when in the midst of working hard, my knee and hip went south for vacation. Now, this is my stroke side and I kind of drag it along or unknowingly contract the muscle. To explain this, in my first year post hospital, I would find looking in a mirror that my left shoulder was lifted up close to my ear. I was trying to get sense it by tensing it up, but that never worked. Having little or no feedback from my entire left side leaving me to use my past memory of it. So, when it hurts on my dead side it means serious trouble. In the meantime have been becoming more aware of much we waste here the past couple of weeks. Hearing in the news about Atlanta’s water problem, I feel stupid using fresh drinkable water to wash food off a plate. I have tried to reduce my trash and even am using half the size garbage can this year over last year. It means declining all bags and looking to not buy over packaged items. I can see easily why most Americans don’t worry about all the waste, because it actually takes awareness non-stop. If we just saw our trash dumps, that alone, would help us to change. People scream if they miss trash pick-up for a month now, but I remember a time when we just used to burn it. Sounds so crazy now with all the plastic, but this happens in most third world countries. I am hoping to spin an idea out of my concern when I am not working with a client, and I’ll look at this as a small vacation packing my bags to join my left side out in limboland.

1 comment:

Thirty3 Naked Laydies said...

everytime i read your blog, i'm taken away by youth sense of calm... by the love you exude. by your thoughtfulness. we do wast ea lot. and i do miss my garbage days. the first few times i did, i'd freak out. "Oh, NO!" but now, i am almost... proud of myself when i miss 1 or 2 pick-up days in a row. i too am learning to conserve. i live alone, so it's only me, myself and i. how much can i waste? a lot.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin