12 April, 2009

Why Did I?...an update.


Update on a blog post from late December. I was outside doing some clean up on some trees around my house. The female officer who responded to my call back then, to go back and look at the man I helped home, stopped by and said hello. She told me that they did go back to his apartment and admitted him to the hospital. She could not tell me any other details, because of privacy concerns. But she was able to communicate his well being and my contribution to it. I replied, I am glad and thank you. I knew that night when she came to my house that beneath the hard protective layer there was a heart of gold. Her male partner thought I was crazy, but she intervened and took off to his house after talking to me. There are so many good people in life that we only get a glimpse if we are lucky. That is why it important to not pre-judge others.

6 comments:

Faraway Friend said...

Does this count as making merit?

Was Once said...

For me, probably not. It has to be much more intentional, I was just at the right spot at the right time, and acted accordingly. Not much foresight, beyond helping someone in need, should come natural for all.

Was Once said...

In thinking, if I can inspire someone else to do compassionate act... maybe then, it might appear as merit.

Faraway Friend said...

Considering how many others might have just looked the other way, and maybe he might have even died..I think your actions should have earned you some good karma, if not merit.

Mandy_Fish said...

Thank you for posting this and the other post. You have opened my eyes (yet again) and I will keep them open.

I sometimes feel embarrassed when I offer help or try to help strangers, not wanting to embarrass them or insult them. Better to go with the first instinct to help, than with the second.

Was Once said...

Mandy,
You have to go with your gut instinct, that arrives just a second before your feelings. When I surveyed the bus stop scene, the old man was standing out. Sadly, there are many more people we walk by everyday in extreme pain or mental illness that the most we can do is wish them love or do Toglen.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin