06 June, 2009

First Step with Precepts


After I got my head shaved by a novice, we made a sidetrip to some local spots on Saturday before I took the eight precepts. While driving we left got caught in the rain, laughing and chilled novices with me in back. No one got angry or upset. Driving on dirt roads in the back of a pickup truck we finally found it. The monk who was there was building it as well, so it just framed up. No stucco, or window frames in the building so the crickets just echoed pleasantly. The monk, Samnuksonk Ponpa was genuinely happy and I could tell he had an accent from another province. So I asked, through a friend, if he had seen the lotus temple, Wat Pha Nam Yoi in Isan? He said I had in fact painted some of the walls there. My partner and I had been there twice and I donated money for the construction, and fond of the design. I thought what are the odds of meeting a former monk from there? I thought it would be a good idea to go and meditate with him once I get the robes next week. He had some Thai/ English dharma books.



Came back in time to put on white clothes and to meet the abbot of my temple to complete the precepts with one other man. He guided us through, and was very forgiving of any mistakes with my speech disability. He said it is most important to have the intention, because everyone will make mistakes at one time or another.


The Eight Precepts:
1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
2. Adinnadana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from taking that which is not given.
3. Abrahmacariya veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from sexual activity.
4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from incorrect speech.
5. Suramerayamajja pamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.
6. Vikalabhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from eating at the forbidden time (i.e., after noon).
7. Nacca-gita-vadita-visukkadassana mala-gandha-vilepana-dharana-mandana-vibhusanathana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from dancing, singing, music, going to see entertainments, wearing garlands, using perfumes, and beautifying the body with cosmetics.
8. Uccasayana-mahasayana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
I undertake the precept to refrain from lying on a high or luxurious sleeping place.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin