22 June, 2009

Hey Monk, Pick up the Phone!


I had to get ordained at another temple where the senior monk could accept my application to receive ordination from him. At least I had seen how the whole process is done, a few days before, as shown in the last photo. When I was ordained in the temple pictured here, the monk’s cell phone rang. Fine, but in the middle of me reciting of Pali, my damaged brain can not handle any other input, so it made it painfully difficult, and I was almost at the point of wanting to yell, "Stop it and answer!" It was set at least ten rings and I have the same tone on my Nokia, so I know it well. But in my confused brain, I tried desperately to address what was the task at hand: reciting Pali precepts. Obviously, the monk could care less. Needless to say I survived, a bit frazzled, but this is Thailand and can be expected. It was a beautiful day that day and the monk was nice and still present. So all it did was lead to more patience. We rode over in a pick-up truck in white and came back novices in orange. After we dressed down to underwear on the temple entry and were helped by other novices to assemble the new robes. Notes about the process:
The ordination procedure for Buddhist monks, know, as the 'Going forth', begins with the applicant's formal request (Pabbajja) to a senior monk or bhikkhu for the novice (samanera) ordination.
temple interior
Then he approaches the senior monk and pays his respects by bowing three times and hands over the robes saying a passage prescribed for the purpose. Then he formally asks the senior monk to give him the robes, and having received them he is helped by the monks to put them on. The applicant then makes a formal request for the novice ordination. The senior monk acquiescing administers the Three Refuges and the Ten Precepts or training rules.

The Prescribed Passages
When handing over the robes:
Venerable Sir, I respectfully ask you to take this set of robes in my hand and out of compassion ordain me as a novice in order that I may be free from the cycle of existence.
Asking the senior monk for the robes:
Venerable Sir, I respectfully ask you to give me the set of robes in your hand and out of compassion ordain me as a novice in order that I may be free from the cycle of existence.
Requesting the Novice Ordination:
Venerable Sir, I respectfully ask you to ordain me as a novice in order that I may be free from the cycle of existence and attain Nibbana.
The candidate then takes refuge in the Triple Gem (Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha) and undertakes the Ten Training Rules or Precepts in Pali:

Buddham saranam gacchami
Dhammam saranam gacchami
Sangham saranam gacchami
Dutiyampi ... 
Tatiyampi …

I take refuge in the Buddha
I take refuge in the Dhamma
I take refuge in the Sangha (three times)
novice helps with robes

The Ten Precepts:

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from harming or taking life).

2. Adinnadanna veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given).

3. Abrahmacariya veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from any sexual contact).

4. Musavada veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from false speech).

5. Sura meraya majjapamadatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from the use of intoxicants).

6. Vikalabhojana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami 
(I undertake to abstain from taking food after midday).

7. Nacca gita vadita visuka dassana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami 
(I undertake to abstain from dancing, singing, music or any kind of entertainment).
Novice shaving on moon phase

8. Mala ganda vilepana dharana mandana vibhusanatthana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from the use of garlands, perfumes, make-up and adornments).

9. Uccasayana mahasayana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from using luxurious seats).

10. Jatarupa rajata patiggahana veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami
(I undertake to abstain from accepting and holding money).

Finally, as a novice, he requests the senior monk to be his Preceptor and on being accepted he receives a new name in Pali. But not done with temporary ordination.

Upajjhayo me bhante hohi. (three times)
Venerable Sir, would you kindly be my preceptor?

On receiving permission, the applicant prepares for the ceremony by acquiring a complete set of robes and getting the help of the monks in the monastery to shave his head in advance of ordination day

One Canadian, One Thai receive temporary ordination

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin